It’s the time of year to explore with bolder lipstick colors. The bold burgundy and red colors that are in this season look fabulous but can also be quite messy. A defined lip always looks best, and you want to make sure that your lips look great all night long (especially after a few drinks and bites.) Having red lipstick all over your face from sloppy application is not a good look. Follow these steps to make sure that your lipstick stays intact and pretty all night long.
1. Exfoliate: Just like the rest of your skin, your lips can get flakey and you need to make sure that you’re exfoliating at least 1x a week. Use one like philosophy “kiss me” (above).
2. Moisturize: Apply a thin layer of lip moisturizer or balm (like the Dr. Lipp original nipple balm above) to smooth your lips. Be careful to not apply too much, otherwise your lipstick will slip right off! A balm that moisturizes and dries quickly works best.
3. Prime: This is a step that is often missed, but lightly applying foundation on your lips serves as a primer and also helps to even out the skin tone (above – one of my essentials Bobbi Brown skin foundation).
4. Line: Select a liner is a similar color as your lipstick. Sharpen your liner (MAC Pro Longwear is a personal favorite) and line your lips with short strokes (rather than one continous outline). Then, fill in your lips completely with the liner. This serves multiple purposes: prevents the tacky liner/lipstick contrast, enhances the lip color, and will help prolong your lipstick.
5. Lipstick: Apply your lipstick over the lip liner. (Above: BITE beauty creme lipstick).
6. Blot: As a final step, lightly blot the excess lip color with a tissue. This is in particularly important if your lip curls when you smile; you need to make sure that your lipstick sets so that you don’t end up with lipstick on your teeth!