I try to cook as much as possible, no matter how busy I get. But then I go through phases when it’s not finding the time to cook that is the issue. I simply can not think of anything satisfying to make! That’s how it’s been lately and I’ve been in a food rut. Even quick and fatty foods, like burgers and pizza, sound less than appetizing.
As I was grabbing my usual salad at a lunch spot next door to the office last week, I realized what I’ve been missing – avocado! Avocado makes pretty much everything taste better. I added it to my salad and went back to my recipe archives to dig up my favorite avocado recipes.
Back when I was living in Geneva, avocado was always in season. I don’t know how (since I know nothing about climates and agriculture), but there was always fresh avocado so I would eat it almost daily. I started to get creative with recipes and eventually landed on this spicy avocado egg salad recipe. It’s much healthier than your typical egg salad recipe, because it swaps out the mayonaise for avocado. But it’s so much more flavorful with a rich avocado taste and a kick of heat with Sriracha. And the best part is that it’s really simple to make – with only 5 ingredients and less than 30 minutes of (inactive) cooking, your food is ready. This recipe is a must try.
1 teaspooon salt
Sriracha (to taste)
spicy mustard (1 tablespoon)
1. To make hard boiled eggs, place the eggs in a saucepan. Completely cover the eggs with water, place the saucepan on the stove, and turn the heat on to medium.
2. Once the water starts boiling, remove from heat and let the eggs sit in the warm water for another 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, drain the water and add cold water. Let the eggs sit in cold water for another 5 minutes.
3. Once the eggs are cooled, peel off the shell and cut the eggs up in small pieces.
4. Peel and cut the avocado and add to the egg mixture.
5. Mix the avocado and eggs until they are thoroughly blended.
6. Add the salt, mustard, and Sriracha. Mix the salad well.